Saturday, September 17, 2011

A Disclaimer, and A Night at the Movies

First, the disclaimer. Now I know my self-challenge to read 100 books in the year 2011 is a personal challenge. I don't think anyone's standing by waiting to see me fail. However, I'm feeling the stress. Then I pinpointed one little piece of that stress and used it as an excuse to beef up my numbers. I read to Christian every night (except when I'm working). I sometimes read to Mackenzie, but she prefers Grandpa. Anyway, lately we've been reading longer books, Christian and I, and I think if I'm spending around 30 minutes reading out loud, I'm entitled to take credit for it. I'll only count chapter books, and if it looks like I'm cheating, I'm sorry, but I don't really care. I hate to give up on the goal. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Now on to Movie Night!



What a great time we had! The PTA set up an inflatable movie screen in the field at school, sold pizza, candy and water, and gave away popcorn and glo-sticks. We brought chairs, blankets, jackets and pillows. The "preview" was presented by Mr. Visca, the principal, who loves music (he owns an Elvis wig and wears it frequently) and love kids. He played "Name That Tune" with his I-pod and had kids and parents dancing and singing before the show. (Not so much grandparents, at least this one, but I'm a stick-in-the-mud). It was hysterical watching Kenzie do the "Gummy Bear Dance" and it's amazing how many old songs the kids are familiar with. I guess that's a function of Mr. Visca's "Funky Fridays." I don't remember school being so much fun!

The movie was Monsters, Inc., if anyone cares, and we had a great, cheap evening. The kids went right to bed when we got home, so it couldn't have been much better. We'll definitely look forward to this one next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment