Tuesday, June 3, 2014

40 Years of Tradition - A Fond Farewell

This has to do with chili. I've been using the same recipe since we were first married and was flabbergasted when the family's response to a new recipe was overwhelmingly positive. Who woulda thunk it? I tried it because it's more Weight Watchers friendly than my usual recipe and because I just need to change it up sometimes. I warned everyone about the change, worried that the addition of jalapeno was going to make everyone hate it. Again, surprised. I had almost no leftovers.

The recipe comes from Bon Appetit - how long ago, I don't know.

1 tablespoon olive oil
2 large red onions, chopped
1 jalapeno chili, chopped (they included seeds, I seeded it)
8 cloves of garlic, chopped
2 pounds lean ground beef
1/4 cup chili powder
2 tablespoons cumin
1 teaspoon paprika
28-oz can of diced tomatoes in juice
2 15-oz cans kidney beans, drained
14-oz can of beef broth

Garnishes: sour cream, shredded cheese, chopped green onions, chopped cilantro

Saute onions in olive oil until they're brown - about 6 minutes. Add jalapeno and garlic, saute another minute. Add ground beef and brown, breaking meat up with a fork as it cooks. Add remaining ingredients and simmer for about 45 minutes.


(I'm inputting this recipe from memory, so if I've made errors, I'll correct them when I get home.)

No comments:

Post a Comment