Thursday, February 12, 2009

Chicken Fried Steak


I officially give up. Mike and Scott, you must be right; the perfect chicken fried steak is a figment of my imagination, a deceitful memory from our childhood . I have ruined my last piece of round steak; when recipes with enticing photos such as this one appear on the Internet or in cookbooks, I will recognize them for Photoshopped illusions they are.

But I don't let go of this dream easily. I will probably still be tempted by menus in Midwest diners - after all, they have better meat, right? Don't disillusion me.

3 comments:

  1. Ok first off that's a oxymoron right there! No such thing as the perfect chicken fried steak! It's just something you do to a really bad piece of meat to maybe make a slight improvement!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The perfect chicken fried staek is one I don't have to cook :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always loved it at home, I thought, and I cooked it. But I can't any more. When we were in Nebraska I tried it at nearly every diner we hit. Nebraska's claim to fame seems to be fried cheese balls. Yukk.

    ReplyDelete