Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Another Movie Review

Okay, not much going on around here, so I'll talk about another movie. Seems to be a good way to get some convervation going.

Sunday night we watched "Frost/Nixon." I wasn't sure what to expect really, but I found it fascinating. I would say our family is not traditionally impressed with Richard Nixon; I remember Grandpa Long being very vocal about him. The Watergate incident has always been fascinating to me - the twists and turns, the secrecy, the apparent inability of Nixon to be honest and to recognize when it was time to give up the pretence. I have watched "All the President's Men" again and again, always finding something new in it.

I had no background on the Frost/Nixon interviews. I remembered David Frost as a tv personality, but didn't really get that he wasn't a serious newsman, so that part of the story was interesting. But I really appreciated the portrayal of Nixon's personality. Much of what I saw supported by gut instinct about the man, but there were a couple of surprises, too, and the unfolding of the story was interesting to watch.

4 comments:

  1. Kathy I put in my netflix lineup. I remember at the time all the Watergate mess was going on, an old man (Mr. Conklin) who lived on the next street over from us told Jeff and I that Nixon was so crooked that when he died they were going to have to screw him into the ground. It's funny how little things stick with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL Scott.. It's in our Netflix queue so we're just waiting. I remember sitting at home and watching the whole Watergate trial on TV. I'm sure a lot of people thought it was boring, but for a young person (think I was about 21 or so), it certainly was fascinating and something I'll never forget.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have now watched Frost/ Nixon and have to agree it was fascinating. I even had to go and watched the bonus features on the disc. Lots of tension with nothing blowing up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I might like to see all of the interviews - they're available through Netflix too, I think.

    ReplyDelete