Tuesday, February 7, 2012

To Speak of Music

I've had the strangest songs going through my head all day, the same two songs, over and over. The first is one I have on a Mary Black cd. The first time I heard it, I was struck by the haunting tune. Then I listened to the lyrics, which are just as haunting:

My youngest son came home today
His friends marched with him all the way
The fife and drum beat out the time
While in his box of polished pine
Like dead meat on a butcher's tray
My youngest son same home today

The song speaks of the troubles in Northern Ireland. Mike and Scott, you would probably like Mary Black. I'm especially drawn to the "dead meat" portion of the lyrics.

The second song isn't haunting, it's irritating:

Hot dogs, Armour hot dogs
What kind of kids eat Armour Hot Dogs?
Fat kids, skinny kids, kids who climb on rocks
Tough kids, sissy kids, even kids with chicken pox
love hot dogs, Armour Dot Dogs
The dogs kids love to bite!

Would anyone care to join me in my own personal hell?







2 comments:

  1. I have a song they I hear at work all the time that drives me up the wall! It is the "The Edge" by Lady Gaga. I swear she says the edge at least 500 times. I go onto the street and I spend the whole day singing those lyrics, It is very easy as you just keep saying the edge with the tune. I actually kind of like the song, but I think it is a communist plot Like "It's a small world"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeWBS0JBNzQ&ob=av2e

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can kind of see why that happens. I lost count about half way through! We were so grateful that "It's a Small World" didn't come home from Disneyland with us. And do you find yourself walking in time with the beat?

      Delete