Thursday, January 2, 2014

2014 Reading Challenge

In 2014 I am not challenging myself to read 100 books. I am challenging myself to read every book I select with more care. I am challenging myself to review every book I read, at least to make one or two comments about it. I am challenging myself to ready as many non-mysteries as I do mysteries. I am challenging myself to read one chapter of Dickens (I really like his books) a day. And I'm challenging myself to pay attention to the book recommendations of friends and family.

So what reading challenges are you making for 2014?

3 comments:

  1. I'm going to try to enjoy as much as possible and then in a few months if I read one over again and still enjoy who cares?????

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Dickens! I still suffer from the memory of having to read "Great expectations" in 9th grade! All I remember is Miss Havasham getting jilted at the alter and her sitting with her wedding cake still on the table years later. Not sure if I want to revisit that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hated "Great Expectations" too, but have found that if you take Dickens in small doses (one chapter at a time, slowly), he's more palatable. Slowing down is the trick - otherwise it's easy to miss the nuances and the humor. Not for everyone, though, and once in a while I just like to do something to feel virtuous. It's that old "oldest child" thing, I guess!

    ReplyDelete