Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Ahh, Mondays & Michael Jackson

Yesterday was Monday, and turned out to be a very peaceful day. My work schedule has changed so that I don't go in until 1:00. That gives me the morning to catch up on what's left over from Sunday - the company dishes, the trash to get ready for Tuesday, the last minute laundry. And I take an hour or two to read, knit, something quiet. This week I needed the quiet. After 10 days of company and a major holiday, I was tired. So yesterday I sat in the backyard under the gazebo, knitting and listening to my Ipod. Nearly a perfect morning.

Today has been only slightly more productive. Much to my shame, I found myself caught up in the Michael Jackson circus taking place today. It started when I was listening to KFI on the radio on my way to Target. Bill Handel is really good at poking sarcastic fun and I thoroughly enjoyed listening to his description of what was going on. By the time I got home I had to see the gold-plated coffin and the crowds that had to be coaxed in off the street for myself. I wonder if all of this was really necessary. I think it would have been more dignified if the family had just had a quiet family/friend service rather than carting that poor man's body around the city of Los Angeles. Did the fans really need this? I don't think so - they just wanted to be part of the circus, the last performance. I can't say I had a lot of regard for Michael Jackson, but the media attention hasn't done anything to improve my opinion of him. The one celebrity that did "speak to me" was Brooke Shields, talking about how the two of them exchanged stories and formed a bond over being child stars together. Was it that childhood stardom that sowed the seeds of perversity and tragic unhappiness in Michael Jackson? From the looks of it, I'd say his family is still doing it to him.

2 comments:

  1. Kathy I think if you are 30 years old or younger you get all this celebrity worship thing. If you are 50ish you are left scratching your head!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you're right Kathy, the Michael Jackson thing is a bit over kill. (understatement there)

    ReplyDelete