Saturday, May 29, 2010

Difficult Conversations

I'm here at the reference desk eavesdropping on a conversation going on at the other end. I'm not sure what the topic is, and it's not important. What's drawing my attention is the string of one-liners coming out of this person's mouth, one after the other. How do you have a real conversation with someone like that?

We have a neighbor that is much the same way - no matter what you're talking about, he has zinger after zinger. I sometimes feel that he just plain isn't interested. I also end up worn out - it's a lot of work having to constantly "react."

Silly post, I know.

3 comments:

  1. I don't know you, but I'm one of the "zinger" guys. This has been very insightful and helpful to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I hope you weren't offended. It takes a great deal of intelligence to "zing" and my poor brain doesn't keep up with it easily.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No offense whatsoever, I think I need to filter a little better and realize it can be wearing sometimes. You've presented a very good and helpful insight. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete