Thursday, January 31, 2013

Re: Congressional Hearings

Dipping into the Congressional Records transcript Scott found for us has been a surprising experience. First, it was the heady thought of, "..my dad was talking to..." That was more exciting to me than I would have suspected. I kept going back to read a little more, then a little more. Then last night I realized what was going on - I was digging to find out more about Dad, the person he was that I never knew.

I don't have an opinion about how important these hearings were. What is evident is that he was part of a larger process, and an important process for the time. Mike, you were about five and I was six when these hearings took place; I have no memory of these events. If I'm right, it must have happened near the time that we moved to California, so his being away wouldn't have felt strange, I guess. But what actually happened? How did he feel? Did he ever talk about it afterwords? It would be interesting to talk to him about it. I'm going to keep reading to see how many answers I can find for myself. Thanks, Scott, for finding this.

3 comments:

  1. It was like he came back to life for us this week. It was something we all knew about, but didn't have much information about. He was just a kid himself, being 26 at the time. It had to be quite an experience for him. It has been 43 years that he has been gone, in my head I think that it shouldn't effect me, but it still does!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You said it just right, Scott - exactly what I was feeling, but wasn't able to put into words. I don't think we'll ever stop feeling the effects. Funny how I still hope he knows what's going on. It was pretty cool to be able to begin to talk to the grandchildren about him.

      Delete
  2. I found it so interesting and like you guys, it brought Dad closer to me. I miss him..

    ReplyDelete