Friday, October 30, 2009

Homesick

It all started this morning as I risked being late to work by finishing Shannon, by Frank Delaney. Irish friends are not fond of him as an author - he "talks too much." But in this book and one of his other books, Ireland, he manages to give words to the feelings I have about Ireland. There is a scent in the breeze and a sound of soft wind and rain that makes me feel more at home there every time I visit. Anyway, in many ways I was reluctant to finish the book because it felt like I was closing the door on a special place in my heart.

And then on the ride to work I listened to a CD that only made the feeling stronger. It was the first Celtic Woman CD, not one that I usually warm too. But there's a whistle/fiddle piece near the end that lightened my heart and made me yearn for dark pubs and good music.

And that's why you get a picture of the Brazen Head, reportedly the oldest pub in Dublin. We never expected it to be anything but touristy, and it is that, but still with the feeling that it's a local. The music was wonderful and the atmosphere magical. Wish we could all be there together.

No comments:

Post a Comment