Sunday, April 28, 2013

Signs of Spring

Woke to another gloomy morning, but it matters not, because it definitely feels like spring. It's hard to say why things feel different from last week, but they do. We're spending more time outdoors. The yard is aswarm with hummers and house finches. The apple blossoms are gone, replaced with little green apples. The patio looks more inviting all the time.

Spring is not my favorite season - fall and winter are much more appealing to me. I never get tired of rainy days and I love watching the clouds over the hillsides on my drive to work. Maybe what I'm enjoying now is the release of energy - out of the house and into the world at large. Primarily, kid energy. The current MO is to have dinner pretty early and to send the kids outdoors to play basketball, ride scooters, whatever they can do to burn off some of that energy. There's nothing worth their watching on tv, so why not keep them out in the fresh air as long as possible. Even we grownups are more active in the evening. A little yard work, tinkering on the Sprite, lots of little stuff going on.

I'll bet this all sounds very familiar to Mom, I just didn't appreciate it like I am this year. So here's to spring, longer daylight hours and lots of outdoor time.

1 comment: