Tuesday, March 24, 2009

What's Important

Life has been pretty hectic for the last couple of weeks - I fell behind while Scott was here, wanting to spend as much time with him as I possibly could - and for some reason I just haven't been able to get back on track. But I realized tonight that it's because I was trying to get the wrong part of my life "back on track." I've been stressing over the house, work, Jim's job, keeping the kids clean and neat. What I forgot to enjoy was the living. I wouldn't trade one hour that we had with Scott. I wish we were able to spend more time with Mom and Ed. The best part of today was going to the nursery with my friend Judie for a new tomato plant. That stack of books I blogged about contains one that is really grabbing my interest. Sitting and drinking a glass of wine with friends was so relaxing when I "should" have been fixing dinner for the family. The family fared just fine without my help and I got to enjoy a spring evening outdoors.

Life will be as hectic as you allow it to be, and hectic does not always mean stressful. I wouldn't give up helping put the kids to bed for anything. On Monday nights, I'm really tired and grouchy. I don't want to make Christian brush his teeth, but it sure warms my heart when he wants me to put him to bed. It won't always be so.

So despite my complaints, my life is much as I want it to be, I guess. We aren't at the place where we can comfortably go away for a weekend, but we can push a little harder to get away for little bits of time. And then to come back, to where we are needed and loved.

Sorry if this is a little sappy; probably the wine talking.

1 comment:

  1. So well written, Kathy.. not sappy, makes one reflect on their own life. Remember you are loved and needed by many.

    ReplyDelete