Friday, January 2, 2009

Beginnings

I'm ready to put New Year's celebrations behind and begin the new year in earnest. Not that our celebrations weren't fun. New Year's Eve was spent at home with friends and neighbors and New Year's night was spent with enjoying fine wine and good company with friends in Pasadena. But now it's time to move forward.

My sister-in-law has been in the hospital since Christmas night. It's hard to be so far away from my brother as he waits and hopes she'll get better. Two emails a day tell us whether or not there's been any progress and he is becoming discouraged. She is still a young woman and I can't help but feel that every day that she does not get worse brings her closer to being well, and I pray I'm right.

Last night was the first night we were able to stay away from home by ourselves since almost two years ago when Rosanne and her babies came back to us. It wasn't easy to leave, and things didn't go perfectly, but they managed without us and it felt so good to be away. It was a huge step!!

This evening the little ones are finally asleep and I'm going to knit and watch "The Duchess," all by myself. What luxury! Tomorrow begins the purging of household messes that I always feel compelled to start after Christmas. A good way to start the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment