Saturday, January 31, 2009

This 'n That

There's no real point to this post today. Just some odds and ends that have been floating around in my head. First, a short book review of Deadly Gift by Heather Graham. I've read a couple of her books before; they're light reads and usuallly have a slight tinge of the supernatural. This one didn't grab my interest right away, so I skipped to the last chapter to get a sense of what was going to happen (a bad habit of mine). Well the protagonist was a banshee. According to the book, banshees are ghosts who come to someone (of Irish descent, or course) to help them ease into death. They can also be "assigned" to help prevent an early, unscheduled death. Well that sent me back to the beginning of the book and although the mystery wasn't too deep, I did revel in the daydream of having my Irish forebears waiting for me on the other side and of being whisked away in a black coach upon my death. Of course I saw none of this when I Googled banshee, but I don't care; I choose to believe it.

I have turned the heel on my sock and it's going well. I think it's going to be way too big, but that's okay too. I'll do the second sock and hold them up with rubber bands if I have to. My friend Alicia told me about a new yarn shop in San Clemente so I went to visit on my lunch hour. it's very small and the yarns are expensive, but they have workshops and I think I'll go back to find out about them.

My brother Scott has some time to kill since he broke his wrist and will be off work for a while, so he started back in on his genealogy. I really envy his ability to sniff out all the little details that are near and dear to a genealogist's heart.

Like I said, odds and ends. I've been working tons of extra hours so my brain's a little fried.

No comments:

Post a Comment